What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun. (NIV)
Quotes from NASA’s Earth Observatory pages about Alfred Wegener:
- the international geological community’s reaction to Wegener’s theory was militantly hostile.
- Wegener’s […] cogent and comprehensive work […] was impossible to ignore and ignited a firestorm of rage and rancor
- most of the blistering attacks were aimed at Wegener himself, an outsider who seemed to be attacking the very foundations of geology.
- Even though Wegener assembled many interlocking pieces of evidence to support his ideas, they were so radical that he was often ridiculed.
- Because of this abuse,Wegener could not get a professorship at any German university.
- In 1926 Wegener was invited to an international symposium in New York called to discuss his theory. Though he found some supporters, many speakers were sarcastic to the point of insult.
- the merit of much […] of his supporting evidence was not widely recognized at the time.
- As a result, most geologists eventually dismissed his theory as a fairy tale or “mere geopoetry.”
Past performance suggests any date between 2018 and 2091 as the year CO2-based CAGW (or CO2-CAGW) went the way of the dodo.